Monday, June 14, 2010

They are doing what????

So, we have talked about who is going on this trip and we have talked about where they are going. Next, let's talk about what they will be doing. This group will meet up with the three interns that are already there, and together with the help of ALARM, they will put together a youth leaders' conference. Youth there is not the same as here in the states. When you think of youth, typically some kid comes to mind. In Kenya, youth means includes young people up until their thirties, all unmarried. What a large age range! We will help train the leaders that work with this age group. This training is vitally important for this tribe to help solidify the essentials of faith. As part of the conference, each leader will receive a Bible in their own language. For many, this will be the first Bible that they will receive. Can you imagine being a leader in the church without owning a Bible?

ALARM has given the curriculum for the conference which is quite encompassing. It includes covering topics of (get ready for this is a heavy list)- discipleship, false teachings, worship, evangelism, christian leadership, Bible exposition, devotions, peer pressure, HIV/AIDS, peer pressure, youth sexuality, and conflict resolution. WOW!!!! Take a moment and think about what each one of these topics include and how you would approach teaching them to a group of people from a completely different culture. They are expecting between 80-100 attendees. Most of the classes will be large, but some will be smaller for better discussion.

These guys have a huge task in front of them and want to serve God in this way, but this task does seem quite a bit daunting, right? Can you imagine the emotions that each one of these guys are experiencing now as they begin preparation? The insecurities and doubts begin to creep in and at times they can be crippling. You start to hear the thoughts...you do not know anything on this topic...who will listen to you... you do not have enough training... you will not be prepared... you will not be relevant.... you are not a good enough Christian... you will be a failure.

This is all the more reason that our group needs and covets your prayers NOW! They need your prayers over their time to prepare, over their insecurities, and over the hearts of those attending. They need prayers now for strength, encouragement, and ability!

1 comment:

  1. I went to Kenya about 5 years ago and what struck me the most was how difficult it was for me to communicate effectively and offer helpful instruction. When I share my love of the Bible, I always embed it in personal experiences and examples from life around me. When I was in Africa, my personal experience was so far removed from theirs that I felt paralyzed. I had no idea how to talk Bible to people who were so different from me. I can remember one conversation in particular when an African asked me about my garden. They were shocked to hear I had no garden and they couldn't understand where my food came from.

    My advice as you prepare to go, is to trust in the Word. It is enough. In America we trust in humor and illustrations and powerful stories to convey the Word. In Africa, you will learn that the Word is enough and it transcends all boundaries.

    The African people will teach you more than you will teach them. Go with a humble heart. Present the love of God and the Word of God and you will be blessed in return.

    Michele

    ReplyDelete